Thursday, February 10, 2011

"7 Nights of Tapas" Recipe: Spiced Roasted Almonds


Almonds have remained my absolute favourite nut for years now. Occasionally I am tempted to say cashews, or Brazil nuts hold the top position. But I never do, simply for virtue of the almond's versatility. What other nut can you roast and chop up for sweet treats or mixed with dried cranberries in a snacking dish AND as a tamari roast (i.e. soy sauce) or with paprika? Walnuts maybe? I don't think so.

A bag of almonds remains on my permanent shopping list. As soon as I get a new supply, open rips the bag, out they come into a pan, and roasted for 10 minutes they get. Roasted almonds are the bomb. I don't think I ever store almonds anymore in their raw form.

Here we have paprika version. They do okay with regular cheap paprika, but once you splurge on the smoked Spanish variety (my current fave by Syren) - explosion.

7 Nights of Tapas:
1. Garlic Shrimp
2. Garlic Mushrooms
3. Spiced Roasted Almonds
4. Garbanzo Beans with Chorizo
5. Marinated Black Olives
6. Figgy Manchego and Jamon Toasts
7. Spinach (Almost/Vegetarian) Empanadas

Continue to Recipe...

Paprika Spiced Almonds
Serves a lot
Eat with Fino Sherry

400g (14 oz) almonds
1 egg white
1/4 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
1 1/2 Tb whole sea salt crystals

Set the oven to 250°F/120°C. In a wide bowl, add egg white, paprika salt. Mix well, until thoroughly combined. Add almonds and mix well again to coat. Set in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, shaking and moving them around after every 10 minutes.

Dobrou Chut'/ Enjoy!
-- Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...