Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


Sometimes the mundane is what makes life so enjoyable. It's important to remember to be kind to ourselves, slow down, and enjoy what each day has to offer. Sounds a bit trite? Sure. Yet who among us can't use another reminder to lay off the pressure on ourselves, and our loved ones, just a bit. 

Lemon poppy baked goods are nothing earth shattering, but they are comforting and uplifting. It remains one of my all-time fave flavour combos, which makes sense given that, among waves of food trends, lemon poppy seed cakes, muffins, scones, and waffles still flatter the pages of food magazines and cookbooks year after year. 


To test out my new oven thermometer (purchased due to my hair-pulling gas oven which has a dial with unmarked lines - no numbers, nothing - to set the temperature) I decided I needed to give another crack at the lemon poppy seed muffin. You see, the challenge is to balance the sweetness. Many recipes I've tried fall into one or the other extreme on the sweetness line. These muffins should be suitable for breakkie, yet sweet enough to snack on during that mid-afternoon energy slump. 

And wouldn't you know, I finally hit upon that balance. Maybe it was that oven thermometer that inspired some extra thought and vigilance while hammering out the recipe, or maybe karma just decided it was my morning for a treat. Whatever the case, I can finally share that sought-after recipe. It makes a batch of muffins plus a pan of mini-muffins (better for sharing, or sticking in the freezer for later.) I think raw sugar is the key to maintaining the sweetness balance, but there is a sugary glaze that I made and used over half the muffins...the ones intended for later in the afternoon.


Check out more scrumptious bites at Sweets for Saturday.

Continue to Recipe...

Recipe: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Serves 12 biggins and 24 minis

3 1/3 cup (420g) flour (or half-n-half with whole wheat)
1 1/2 Tb baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup (175 g) raw (aka turbinado) sugar
3 Tb poppy seeds
a big handful / 3 1/2 oz. (100g) finely chopped walnuts (or almonds)
3 eggs
1 2/3 cup (375g) milk
1 stick (115g) melted butter
zest and juice from 2 lemons

glaze:
1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon

1 - Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Get out the muffin tins and grease with some of the melted butter. 

2 - In a big bowl, blend together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, poppy seeds, and nuts. 

3 - In a medium sized bowl, mix the eggs well, add in the milk, melted butter, lemon zest and juice. 

4 - Create a well in the middle of the dry mix and pour in the wet mix. With a big sturdy spoon mix just until incorporated. Divvy up into the muffin tins, bake 15 mins (for minis) and 20 (for biggies).

5 - Make the glaze: sift the powdered sugar (necessary, as you don't want lumps here) into a bowl and add juice and zest. Whisk together with a fork.

6 - When muffins have cooled a bit, pour glaze over top. 

Dobrou Chut'/ Enjoy.
-- Jo



3 comments:

  1. I love this combo at Christmas time I made lemon poppy seed biscotti. I love lemon; it's freshness inspires greatness ;-D These look great! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I bet lemon poppy biscotti was a hit amid the usual christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love lemony treats. Your muffins would make for one scrumptious breakfast. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till tomorrow night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-20.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...